Thursday, May 15, 2008

Curing Homophobia

7 comments







I guess there is no need for any explanation. These posters speak more than a thousand words and if you didn't get them, I wonder what else will! But it is important to see that homophobia exists not only in the straight community, but in the gay community as well - people who feel discomfort of being gay and not willing to accept it. I know I had a hard time to finally accept that I am homosexual, but during that process I didn't find myself disliking homosexuals. I was rather curious about what made me feel this way towards men rather than women. I haven't yet found the answer for that and I'm no longer searching for it coz I'm now comfortable to say to myself that I'm gay. I had wonderful support from my online friends who listened to my worries and they helped me tremendously to make this journey lot easier. But there will be many who are not as lucky as I am and their frustration may shape into hate - hate towards themselves, hate towards those who remind about themselves.

Each year, worldwide campaigns against homophobia culminate on May 17 with the International Day Against Homophobia and this year the campaigns combat holding the truth, "Homosexuality is not a sickness!" The goal of the campaign is to reach all health care workers and professionals. It is on a May 17th (1991, to be specific) that the World Health Organization (WHO) removed homosexuality from its list of mental illnesses. But conversion therapies which aims to convert gays to straights (how ridiculous that feels even to read, right?) imposed by anti - LGBT movements are still existing today even though they were discredited by virtually all major medical, psychiatric, and psychological organizations because there is no scientific basis for such therapies and they can cause more harm than good.
Click here to reach homophobiaday.org

Also,
Born Gay Or Made Gay
(from my previous blog)
What Is Sexual Orientation And What Causes Homosexuality (from my friend, Rex)

Check out these related posts too!
The Right To Do "I Do"
The Gay Parade And The Media

Is Internet Becoming Homophobic?


Subscribe To CSB For Free